We’ve listed below some of our favorite resources for healthy living in and around Fredericksburg.
Real Food Sources
- Bethel Family Farm – Family farm in Caroline County which offers Lamb (half, whole) and Chicken.
- Blenheim Organic Gardens
- Boxwood Beef – Based in Chatham, VA they are a family owned beef farm which delivers quarter, half, and whole beef shares to the Fredericksburg area. Grass-fed, Grain-finished beef.
- Braehead Farm – The only operational farm in Fredericksburg City, they offer pick-your own fruits and vegetables throughout the growing season. While not organic, they do minimize their fungicide, pesticide, and insecticide use.
- Foode – A Sneed family favorite, Foode is a local restaurant in Downtown Fredericksburg which prides themselves on using fresh, clean, local ingredients in all of their offerings.
- Fredericksburg Area CSA Project – The first CSA in Fredericksburg, in operation since 1995, it focuses on providing organic, local produce to its members from May-October each year.
- Fredericksburg Farmer’s Market – Held every Saturday between April and October, it is a great place to meet and support local farmers, not to mention pick up some fresh produce, cheese, meat, and eggs.
- Golden Valley Gurnsey – Family owned farm offering cow shares.
- Harvest Market – Located at the Courthouse Village in Spotsylvania, it is a family owned and operated grocery store which focuses on carrying natural and/or local products.
- Kickshaw’s Downtown Market – A small, locally owned grocery store in Downtown Fredericksburg which carries local, natural, and organic products.
- Lockhart Family Farm – Local, family owned farm which offers Pork, Chicken, Turkey, and Ducks.
- Mountain Rose Herbs – A great source for organic bulk herbs, spices, and loose leaf tea.
- Olde Towne Butcher – Traditional full-service butcher shop in Downtown Fredericksburg. A great source for local meats and sausages, and wild-caught fish.
- Schaefer Family Farm – Local family farm in Spotsylvania which offers Pork (whole, half, sausage, bacon), Chicken, Turkey, Eggs, Lard, and Soap.
- Sneads Asparagus Farm – A local farm which has an annual CSA with foods from their own farm, but supplemented with produce from other farms as needed. Pick your own Pumpkins and Christmas Trees seasonally.
- Aikido In Fredericksburg – A martial art studio and community which focuses on Aikido, a non-violent Japanese martial art which focuses on neutralizing opponents without harm.
- Dragonfly Yoga – A pay-per class yoga studio and community in Downtown Fredericksburg that offers yoga classes for all ages and stage.
- Fredericksburg Parks & Rec
- Healing Arts & Yoga Center – A Fredericksburg yoga studio which focuses on Hatha Yoga, Breath Work, and Meditation.
- Rappahannock Area YMCA
- Spostylvania Parks & Rec
- Stafford House of Yoga – Yoga studio located in Stafford with a monthly fee structure which offers regular and hot yoga, Qi Gong, and Pilates.
- Stafford Parks & Rec
- Trinity Yoga & Healing – Run by Suzanne Ludlum, with a focus on beginning, restorative, and vinyasa flow yoga classes as well as individual classes.
Local Holistic Health & Medical Resources
- Cowan Pharmacy – A locally owned and operated compounding pharmacy Fredericksburg, behind MWH. They also carry many of the brands and supplements recommended by Dr. Sneed for their purity and effectiveness.
- Creative Healing Solutions – Private practice psychotherapy group specializing in the treatment of anxiety and traumatic stress disorders.
- Fredericksburg Whole Food Nutrition Meetup Group – A local Meetup group focused on sharing local resources and information on healthy, clean eating with a focus on the Weston A. Price model of nutrition.
- Goolrick’s Pharmacy – A locally owned and operated compounding pharmacy in Downtown Fredericksburg.
- Meditation Community of Fredericksburg – Group meditation utilizing Buddhist Insight Meditation. Meets weekly at Dragonfly Yoga Studios, Thursdays at 7pm.
- The Natural Path – An excellent, local resource for homeopathic, herbal, and natural remedies run by Naturopaths Barbara and Roderic Bergquist.
- The Scenter of Town – Suzy Woollam is a certified Clinical Aromatheapist and Massage Therapist with a talent for helping create specific essential oil blends for individual Aromatherapy needs.
- Thrive – A non-profit organization offering holistic services to women.
Educational Health Resources
- 100 Days of Real Food – Food blog dedicated to helping families reduce or eliminate processed foods, includes resources and recipes.
- Against All Grain – Food blog dedicated to the Paleo diet, including gluten-free/dairy-free/grain-free recipes.
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention – Federal organization focusing on disease prevention and cures through the use of traditional pharmaceutical methods.
- Center for Science in the Public Interest – Independent organization focused on education and advocacy for scientifically based stances on health and environmental issues which counter the major food industries’ lobbyists.
- Dr. Mercola – News, research, and resources focused on natural health information run by Dr. Mercola.
- Go Farm University – Educational organization focused on teaching holistic, sustainable, healthy farm management practices.
- Holistic Healing Magazine – Local Fredericksburg publication focusing on holistic information and services within the area.
- National Institute of Health – Federal medical research agency under the US Department of Health and Human Services.
- Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon – Resource and Cook Book written by a leader of the Weston A. Price Foundation which supplies recipes for cooking with real food as well as the research explaining the benefits of various ingredients and methods of cooking.
- The Cleveland Clinic – A nationally recognized medical resource for patients covering common diseases, conditions, treatments, procedures, and medications.
- The Mayo Clinic – A nationally recognized medical resource for both patients and physicians.
- US Department of Agriculture – Federal organization tasked with regulating farming, agriculture, forestry, and food.
- US Food and Drug Administration – Federal organization tasked with regulating medical products (devices, pharmaceuticals, vaccines, and supplements), tobacco, food, and veterinary medicine,
- Virginia Independent Consumers & Farmers Association – Independent association which works against the over-regulation of small farm sales direct to consumers.
- Weston A. Price Foundation – A non-profit nutrition education foundation which promotes eating a nutrient-dense whole foods diet.
**We’ve received no compensation in any form for mentioning these resources – these are simply local business, farms, and practitioners we like and trust within the Fredericksburg community.